Phor Kark See, Singapore
high-definition creative commons photographs from Phor Kark See, Singapore, showing the buildings, sculptures and decorations, together with further information.
Around 1920, the Phor Kark See Monastery was built on the a plot of land in Thomson Road donated by Tay Woo Seng, a Chinese businessmen. It was the first traditional Chinese forest monastery to be built in Singapore. Since Phor Kark See Monastery is situated at Kong Meng San ("Bright Hill", formerly "Hai Nan Mountain"), it has come to be known as "Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery".
The original temple consisted of a two-storey building, a shrine room, a visitors' room and living quarters. The Monastery expanded steadily over time as philanthropists like Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par donated funds to the monastery for its expansion.
In 1947, Ven. Hong Choon became the monastery's abbot. Under his leadership, the monastery's complex expanded from two shrine halls to include the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas and large prayer halls. He also progressively developed and expanded the monastery with his followers into the largest and most majestic place of practice in Singapore.
On 5 June 2004, Ven. Kwang Sheng became the monastery's present abbot. Under Kwang Sheng's leadership, the Dharma Propagation Division was set up for Singaporeans to learn Buddhism and practice the Dharma in relevant ways. The Youth Ministry KMSPKS Youth, was set up to serve as a platform for Singaporean youths who want to know about Buddhism, learn Buddhism and serve the society via Buddhist teachings.
The modern day monastery premises consist of stupas, prayer halls, crematorium and columbarium which houses over 200,000 niches, bell and drum towers, and an outdoor statue of Avalokitesvara stands between the Dharma Hall and the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas.
The Hong Choon Memorial Hall of the temple was built in 2004. The large bronze Buddha statue located in the temple's Hall of No Form is one of Asia's largest Buddha statue, with a height of 13.8 metres and weighing 55 tons. A six-storey $35 million Buddhist college for monks has now been completed.
Text adapted from Wikipedia (retrieved, June 1st 2017)
use j/k or left/right arrow
to navigate through the photos below
Hall of Great Compassion
Hall of Great Strength
Hall of Precepts (Sima)
Other Buildings and Statues
Photographs by Anandajoti Bhikkhu
About this Website
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License